My recommendation - safe to use but understand it's currently pretty limited due to bugs.
To activate, change a view's Exposed Form style (Advanced column) to 'Better exposed filters'.
- Lets you enable AJAX auto submit. The difference is without BEF, with Use AJAX, an AJAX request (vs a full page reload) is made but ONLY when you click 'Apply'. With BEF, as soon as you change a dropdown the view updates (like the filters on this site).
- You can change the input method for each field (e.g.a single checkbox for what would otherwise be a True/False dropdown), make them "collapsible", add select all/select none links where appropriate.
- Rewrite option that lets you reword all the options for the filter and also delete some.
- If you have a search field - e.g. Combine fields filter - you MUST turn on 'Exclude Textfield' if you are using 'Autosubmit'
- Most of these options *aren't* available for taxonomies (e.g. webform where
- If you use the default views single or grouped exposed filters, with selects/radios, they work correctly, but when you change them to BEF style, with checkboxes and AJAX, they don't (form is submitted and the checkbox has disappeared)
- Bug: reset button doesn't use AJAX, it sends you to a view URL instead (disable it in settings)
So all you can really do with BEF at the moment is use the AJAX setting.